Friday 16 September 2011

#FindOutFriday - Q&A with MAVERiQ

You've heard his music, you've watched his videos, but what about the 'out of the ordinary'? ESP put the UK's freshest RnB Prince under the real spotlight. You know, just for funsies...

Q: For those who don't know, Who is MAVERiQ?
A: MAVERiQ is a Singer / Songwriter / Dancer/ Producer...to put it simply, he is an Artist and a Musician.

Q: Where did the name come from, how and why, does it describe you?
A: The word 'Maverick' means 'unorthodox' and 'independently-minded'. I think they describe me to a tee...but in all honesty, the name came from an aftershave bottle in my Uncle's studio - I just thought it sounded nice! At the time of my "Christening", there was another artist called Maverick, so I just decided to change up the spelling a little bit!

Q: Describe the first song that you ever wrote:
A: The first song I ever wrote was called 'Baby Girl'. I was 12 years old, and it was while I was with my (former)  group 'Extreme Impact'. The song was pretty much about declaring your love for a girl and not being afraid to do so. Thinking about it now, that was my most popular song, 'cos all my siblings knew it at the time, and even some classmates!

Q: How do 'MAVERiQ the Artist' and the Man behind the name differ?
A: 'MAVERiQ' is loud, eccentric, bold and kind of a show off! But Lance is cool, calm, collected and humble. The only similarity between the two is that they're both friendly guys :)

Q: For those unfamiliar with your first mixtape, 'Room 1402', explain the concept:
A: The idea behind '1402' was that Hitch (Fatal Hitchkoch, Manager) and I wanted to put out a body of work that would signify Valentine's Day; but also a project that highlights the fact that I'm an out and out RnB singer, and my speciality is Slow Jams and  Love songs. The concept is highlighting a woman's endeavours in a hotel room, with 4 different scenarios that could happen.


Q: Your music has so far been very much 'For the Ladies'. What can your audience expect from the '5Star' EP, and how does it differ as a follow up?
A: '5Star' is going to be hitting people from every angle. I intend to have a lot of different stuff on this project, and I want it to be the best thing I've ever done because I'm dedicating this to my siblings - they are the 5 Stars of my life.

Q: The life of a Performer is a busy one. Name 3 things that you do to relax:
A: I love reading. Nothing does it for me more than stimulating my brain - whether it be a book or a newspaper. Then there's pool. I may not be very good, but it's more about the company you keep when you're doing these kinda things. Finally, Football. If anyone knows me, they know I LOVE Liverpool FC and I will STANDARDLY put aside anything I'm doing that day to watch my team!

Q: Tell us some skills that your audience may be surprised to know you have:
A: I guess it would have to be me playing the piano. I've been playing since I was 6 and I very rarely incorporate it into a live performance. Most people actually don't know, so find it surprising that I can play AND sing. I owe that to Stevie Wonder, one of my true idols.

Q: What can fans expect from you in 2012?
A: A lot more music! I had a little Summer break in July and August, and most of that time I spent writing. So right now I have a lot of material for a lot projects.

Q: Tell us about your favourite performance to date:
A: Hands down, it was a show that my team BreddWinnaz did back in April of 2011, up in Sussex. It was for a dance crew that were just starting out and they put on a showcase. They asked me to come along and do my thing, and I had to bring BW along for the ride. That particular day was great for us, because we put on one hell of a show for them and their parents, and they loved it. At the end, we signed a lot of autographs and took a lot of pictures with our new fans! To this day we still talk about that show and make an effort with the fans down there.

No comments:

Post a Comment