Tuesday 12 March 2013

Image Conscious: 'Lost In Music' Competition, March Music In The ESP spotlight


So, if you caught my earlier 'Oz: The Great And Powerful' film review, then you will understand why I'm still in the land of, at this particular moment in time...or at least as close as London-by-way-of-Kansas will take me.

With that in mind, I would be pretty hardpressed to come with a better example that encapsulates the whole ethos behind Creativity Week than Harold Arlen and E.Y. Harburg's Over The Rainbow, now wouldn't I? Everything I've mentioned so far behind the concept of storytelling through songwriting, is evident in this one song. For me personally, this is one of my earliest memories of escapism through film and music, and please believe I did spend many an early year believing that if I just sang this song well enough then one day, that crack would form in the clouds and bring forth a rainbow to my feet, just waiting for my steps...The fact that I'm still here was a clear testament as to why my future does not include a microphone. Enough said about that, methinks.

If you listen to the lyrics of this song and really think about them, then not only will you see how the entire film translates to the fantasy described within the verses, but why it earned the duo the 1939 Academy Award for Best Original Song. A perfect meeting of the two Creative elements, Arlen's musical composition carries a message of hope throughout the score. Last week, when we looked at the Understanding of Music and it's Emotional Connection, we saw how mood could be affected by certain types of Musical Style. The wistfulness and belief in something better that this song evokes, has translated through generations and is still one of the most covered songs to this day; because of it's power to connect despite the changes in culture and time.

Over The Rainbow is another prime example of a legacy in Music History - don't you think? No? Well maybe you need a little reminder...Hit it Judy (I've always wanted to say that)!



I don't know about you, but I feel like donning some gingham and plaiting myself up in pigtails for at least a WEEK.

I don't think there is honestly anything more I can suggest about applying these ideals to your own musical exploits - you've just got to listen and analyse again if you still need some guidance. What can I possibly tell you that Harold, E.Y. and Judy can't? I defer to the Masters...

It's Competition Time again, and I think you know it's GOT to be based on the film! You ready?


Judy Garland bore a pair of famous daughters - one more known for following in her Mother's footsteps than the other.

Name her and the Musical film that she made famous?

(I'll give you two clues, it involves a bowler hat and Mariah Carey channelled said film for inspiration in her Breakdown video with Rap Harmony Group Bone Thugs-n-Harmony...)

As for yesterday's answer, I asked you...


What is the Name of Christopher Wallace's Mother?

The answer, is Volletta Wallace.

As always, entry couldn't be easier, all you have to do is the following: email your answer, tweet confirmation of your entry using the #MarchMusic hashtag and LIKE ESP on Facebook - it's that simple! And even if you don't win, you still win! You get 50% off your order for a #ESPspotlight Music Review, on any order that you place between now and 20:13 tomorrow!

Enjoy and let me have your feedback on both of today's pieces - the Comment Box is your friend!

Until the next...
ES ;)

PS. DON'T FORGET your ABC! It's easy as:

1. email your entries for today's competition
2. Tweet confirmation of your entry using the #MarchMusic hashtag to ESP Ltd. on Twitter then,
3. LIKE ESP Ltd. on Facebook by 20:13 tonight to be in with a chance!



'Lost In Music' Competition Terms & Conditions:

  • Only one entry per person, per day.
  • Prize refers to ONE single/EP/Album ONLY.
  • Entrants MUST complete all stages for entries to be eligible.
  • Answers should be submitted via email, with confirmation of entry tweets containing the #MarchMusic hashtag sent to ESP Ltd. on Twitter.
  • Entrants must LIKE the EricaSharlette Promotions Ltd. Facebook Page for entries to be considered eligible.
  • All methods of entry should contain the #MarchMusic hashtag.
  • The #MarchMusic promotional code must be applied to claim the 50% discount.
  • Entry deadline is 20:13 each day, winners will be notified via email within 24 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment