Wednesday 19 October 2016

MusicMonday WaveRunner Duo: '24K Magic' - Bruno Mars / 'Starboy' - The Weeknd ft. Daft Punk


Now if I'm honest, The Weeknd's 'Starboy' was actually my selection for last week's #WaveRunner, but if you'll recall, technical glitches, and what I will now recognise as health hang ups got in my determined way. Not to be this week, my friends, Not. To. Be! Despite the fact that I have been laid up since last Wednesday when I literally froze in the middle of writing a publicly promised piece for you. I can only apologise, my friends, but even today will be light; because it's taking every ounce of strength I have, just to be upright long enough to write this.

Since it's 7 days Bruno Mars senior, we'll go age before beauty on this occasion - based solely on Mars' sisters, and not the long sock-wearing entourage in his latest video (no excuse Bruno, none whatsoever). Released on 30th September, with so many of this week's favourites, 'Starboy' is the latest release from a hitboy crooner that frankly, unlike Bruno, can do no wrong! Taken from his forthcoming album, 'Starry' (out 25th Nov.); the track entered the national charts at number 5, and jumped 3 places in the space of one week. Supermodel and 'It' Girl Bella Hadid's boyfriend is doing rather well...at least we assume that's why he killed himself and emerged as a new and improved version in his latest video?

Essentially telling the world that he has no competition, he's rich, successful, and has a lot of flashy cars; there's not really much else to share as far as the song's storyline goes. Creepy sacrilege aside; The Weeknd basically spends the entire video destroying the old him, and his awards, discs, wardrobe - apparently every trace of his former self - except the cars (they're referenced throughout the whole song, thus it would appear that they're important). Revealing what I like to call his 'Maxwell Moment' (do we remember the 'Pretty Wings' emergence after The Haircut?) what confuses me, is how we are meant to tell if he's good or evil - murdering his former self one minute, and smashing the place up with a neon crucifix the next? Answers on a postcard please...



Now I don't know who he's dating (yet); but I do know that Bruno Mars has been keeping things quiet, going underground shortly after releasing his last single, 'Uptown Funk' with Mark Ronson. With his new album also set to be released this year (date TBC); it's safe to say that all of our ears are in for a treat before year's end.

'24K Magic' is as big and brashy as it is smooth and synth sexy. Rounding up his amigos for a trip on the private jet; the boys are hitting Vegas for their weekend, and everybody is about to know that they're coming through. Unfortunately, there's very little vocal display, as Mars mainly raps throughout the track (yes, he can do that too); but when those flashes of vocals do come through, we're reminded of who we've missed for the last few years, and we're glad to hear he's back - despite the rather odd dance routine, and gratuitous booty shots (random females, not Mars).



Firmly expect to see this storming the charts the moment it becomes available; Mars has already set the world alight with this, the sassiest of comebacks (can men be sassy? Sidenote: I shall find out).

'Starboy' is available now at all independent retailers.
'24K Magic' is available now at all independent retailers.

That's all for this week folks...Nah, I'm just kidding, sick or not, I will bring you content worth reading, that was my promise to you - although I can't promise that some of it may not be gibberish. I babble when I'm sick, it's a habit, so shoot me.

Anywhoo, I'm off, as that fever is starting to climb...See you soon for a very special LostInMusic segment - dedicated to the late, great, Rod Temperton, who tragically lost his battle with cancer last week.

Until the next...
ES

No comments:

Post a Comment