Saturday 9 February 2013

#ESPspotlight Review: '7 Days, 7 Mixtapes' Valentine's Special, Day 6 - Human Condition: Doleo EP, Wynter Gordon



Now I'm not going to pretend that I knew who Wynter Gordon was before I chanced upon her Stimela video earlier this morning...



She's a hottie, right? Immediately mesmerised by the steamy sensuality, I went on an instahunt for the Doleo EP that the track hails from and discovered an audio and visual candyland.

Clearly she's the perrrrfect choice for the first girl to step up to the plate in my '7 Days, 7 Mixtapes to Set the Mood' Valentine's Special - I mean you see her and you hear her, right? I knew you'd understand! Ok so about this mixtape...

What struck me about Giving In on my first play, was how much Wynter (I even love her name - and if you know me, then you know I hate the cold with a passion; it's a mystery that I'm even British...) takes me back to the first time I ever heard Trip Hop. Literally. The very first time. I remember where I was, my brief obsession with it and everything. The second standout was a floating Sade moment in the back of my mind. Hours later, I still can't pinpoint the exact connection for me, but there is definitely something.


Wynter Gordon's 'Human Condition Part 1: Doleo' EP

Now I don't know about you, but it's very rare for me to have one lightening bolt moment, listening to new music.

To have two, within seconds of  the other, during track one...well that's when you start throwing salt over your left shoulder and trying not to speak in tongues, as far as I'm concerned. Yes I like this one. Just in case that wasn't clear.

The aforementioned Stimela is really just too hot for words. I don't know who 'Trevor' is, but you can't blame the poor bloke for not leaving her alone, this song is as hypnotic as it's singer. The big range Wynter exercises is used to perfection and doesn't overpower the track's tempered pace. I have no idea what half the lyrics translate to, or even what language they're in, but my ears are glued to her every utteranceHot. Just hot. Seriously.

Waiting is a big Rock track that weirdly isn't out of place in the epic bedroom moment that is this mixtape. Lamenting over the  tale of age-old wayward partner emotionally absent from the relationship; you really can't help wanting to slap the unseen offender upside the head for his actions. I mean has he not seen her?

One of my favourites of the project, you can't help loving Kids but being weirded out by it, considering the subject matter is not bedroom material at all - far from it. Angrily talking to the childhood friend who's gone off the rails leaving those who care most about her to pick up the pieces, if you pay close attention to the story that unfolds, it's actually extremely dark and painfully told.

"I was your mistress, top of your hitlist, I was your girl..." You fully believe Wynter does many a Bad Thing in this self-depricating story but somehow, you know that you'll like every one of them. Another dark one, she sings about being the toxic bad girl that you just know all the good boys fall for, breaking all the good girls' hearts because they just can't stay away from her allure. Think a modern day Carmen Jones. I need another word for the level of heat...Fireball. Let's go with that...

No Hush is my second favourite. More uptempo than the rest of the set, but still keeping the steam levels slow and sensual, she's not the only one in need by the time she gets to that second plea to "tell me that you love me or I just can't give it away...". Fellas, it's not nice to keep a girl waiting to that degree. All that's missing is one of those counter top bells that you hit to ring and Wynter calling out "Service Please"!

Don't Waste Your Time is a sexy slow rap sing-song about the fool that let this gorgeous girl slip away. Foolish, foolish man - she's never coming back, she's too far gone, don't you know...




The closer is my final favourite of this set. Nervous featuring Travie Scott brings the whole EP full circle in a potent Trip Hop, meets Hip Hop meets R&B blend that is just smothered in hot sauce. With teasing vocals designed to drive you to the edge of self-control ("You know I'm the bomb, I'm like candy on your arm, when I play, I play for keeps"); that Carmen / Lolita persona comes right back to close things out with just enough bad girl neediness to leave those good boys convinced she's a wild one they can tame. Something tells me they'll soon find out the hard way; falling for that old chesnut is how this lady ensures she always wins the game...

Download 'Human Condition: Doleo' by Wynter Gordon from bandcamp now...

Click to Download from Bandcamp

Connect with Wynter via her Social Media Catalogue:




Click to get 15% off your order...
Now Ladies, if like me, your 'Independent Woman' fire has been fuelled more than usual by the fiesty cold of Wynter; don't forget that my special, MyFlashTrash.com Brand Ambassador code works for you too; you can buy something pretty for the Mr or, gift yourselves like I did...


Well now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to indulge in Wynter's 'Human Condition Part 2: Sanguine' EP; you can too from that very same bandcamp page above!

Nitey-nite....!
ES ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment